A couple of posts ago a dear follower recommended the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I haven’t read it yet but as soon as I read the synopsis I ran out and bought it for a friend who, in my humble opinion, was in need of some inspiration. Some proof that crazy things are possible, that the world is bigger than our imagination and that all we have to do is have an idea and be fearless enough to try.
There have been many such books in my life – books that made me think big, books that scared me, inspired me and shook the way I thought. I can’t possibly list them all but here are a couple that left a impact on me, one way or another:
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemache
- Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
- Just Kids by Patti Smith
- On the Road by Kerouac
- the Wisdom of Whores by Elizabeth Pisani
- Lit by Mary Karr
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone have any titles they should be added to that list?
Faithful followers of Ayn Rand need not apply… 😉